PLAY LINK: 21st CENTURY ENGLISH FOLK 2
(This playlink is to Mixcloud streaming: you can also download the podcasts from Podomatic )
It's hard to believe that we're already 21 years into the 21st Century!
This programme is the second of two song-lead companion pieces to last June's No Voices (England) which showcased instrumental tracks by English musicians. Part 1 went live in February. They're natural successors to my Rough Guide To English Folk and Looking For A New England compilation CDs of a decade back.
For most of the second half of the last century, folk music by English performers tended to get overshadowed by music from Ireland, Scotland and, obviously, America – even to English people. But this century things have really changed and I didn't have to look very far to find loads of great examples. Everything here was included on one of the dozens of compilation CDs and download albums that I assembled for fRoots magazine (RIP) up to the summer of 2019, and the only problem was what to leave out! They were regular showcases for the state of the art, often by newly emerging artists. And another big change to previous decades is the justified predominance of women artists, something where the folk scene has been well ahead of the world of rock and pop.
It's these 21st century newcomers that are the focus here. With just a couple of exceptions, nearly everybody I've included in these two programmes began their playing careers or released their first recordings in the 21st century, adding to the amazing pool of existing, often iconic, artists and their records from the previous generation(s). Many have already established themselves well, a few briefly burned brightly and then slipped away again. All digits are crossed that new performing careers survive the pandemic hiatus and restrictions.
Because I already did No Voices, the only instrumental tracks here are those which open and close each show. But that's another massive element of 21st Century English folk/ roots music for you to investigate!
If you missed Part 1 last month, it featured Three Cane Whale, Eliza Carthy, Sproatly Smith, Jimmy Aldridge & Sid Goldsmith, Olivia Chaney, You Are Wolf, Telling The Bees, Lucy Farrell & Jonny Kearney, Harp And A Monkey, Bella Hardy, Ian King, Mary Hampton, Long Hill Ramblers, The Memory Band, Jim Moray, Emily Portman, Lutine, Jason Steel, Thom Ashworth, Martha Tilston, Tim Van Eyken, Rhona Dalling, Tim Jones & The Dark Lanterns, Lisa Knapp, Nick Hart, Rachael McShane & The Cartographers, Stick In The Wheel and Leveret.
1. Spiro : The White Hart from the CD First Light (Real World) http://www.realworldrecords.com
2. The Rheingans Sisters : Green Unstopping from the CD Bright Field (RootBeat) https://therheinganssisters.bandcamp.com
3. Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne : Ripon Sword Dance Song from the CD Outway Songster (Wild Goose) Website
4. Bird In The Belly : Irish Emigrant from the CD The Crowing (GFM) Website
5. Kitty Macfarlane : Man, Friendship from the CD Namer Of Clouds (Navigator) Website
6. False Lights : Polly On The Shore from the DL EP False Lights Live (False Lights) Bandcamp
7. Alula Down : Master Kilby from the CD Homespun (Alula Down) Bandcamp
8. This Is The Kit : Spores All Settling from the CD Bashed Out (Brassland) Website
9. Jack Rutter : Stormy Winds from the CD Hills (Jack Rutter) Website
Ruth Theodore : False Alarm from the CD White
Holes Of Molehills (River Rat) Website
11. Nancy Wallace : Joy To The World from the CD Old Stories (Midwich) Bandcamp
12. Mawkin Causley : Come My Lads from the CD Cold Ruin (Navigator) Website
13. Josienne Clarke & Ben Walker : Banks Of Sweet Primroses from the DL album fRoots 53 (fRoots) Website
14. Marry Waterson & David A Jaycock : Caught On Coattails from the CD Two Wolves (One Little Indian) Website
15. Katie Rose : Witches' Reel from the CD Weirdlore (Folk Police) Website
The Lords Of Thyme : Proud Maisrie from the CD EP The Lords Of Thyme (Sunstone) Website
17. Spiers & Boden : Captain Ward from the CD Vagabond (Navigator) Website
18. Jackie Oates : Lark In The Morning from the CD The Violet Hour (Chudleigh Roots) Bandcamp
19. Greg Russell & Ciaran Algar : Royal Comrade from the CD The Call (Fellside) Website
20. Hladowski & Joynes : Lord Bateman from the CD The Wild Wild Berry (Bo Weavil) Website
21. Jon Wilks : Colin's Ghost from the CD Midlife (Jon Wilks) Bandcamp
22. Laura Smyth & Ted Kemp : The Manchester Angel from the CD The Poacher's Fate (Broken Token) Website
23. Sam Lee : The Ballad Of George Collins from the CD Ground Of Its Own (Sam Lee) Website
24. Dogan Mehmet : The Raging Seas from the CD Gypsyhead (Hobgoblin) Website
25. Lori Campbell : Johnny Malone from the DL EP Seeds (Lori Campbell) Bandcamp
26. Heg & The Wolf Chorus : Three Sailors from the CD EP A Tale Of Sailors (Heg & The Wolf Chorus) Website
27. Julian Gaskell & His Ragged Trousered Philanthropists : Bottle Of Luck from the CD Here The Brute Harpies Make Their Nests (RTP) Bandcamp
28. Phillip Henry & Hannah Martin : Courting Is A Pleasure from the CD Singing The Bones (Dragonfly Roots) Bandcamp
29. Gadarene : The King's Head Hornpipe from the CD Vol 2: Live In 2016 (Gadarene) Website
Like/ follow the Podwireless Facebook page: facebook.com/podwireless
Podwireless is available for free: it’s a labour of love and public service netcasting. If you would like to make a voluntary contribution to its running costs, see the Tip Jar link at the top of the column on the right or just go to https://www.paypal.me/unmanage !
To submit CDs for consideration for Podwireless, send to:
PO Box 3072
Bristol BS8 9GF
And see the FAQ